As apple cider vinegar is a natural substance, many feel better about ingesting it than manufactured chemicals, but of course, it must be done in moderation. While ACV has great benefits, it is an acid -- all vinegars are. Consume no more than a few teaspoons per day, and never drink it without diluting it with water or juice.
Here are some of the beauty benefits we've found:
- Clear skin problems and stop acne. The acidity in the vinegar will dry out the blemish allowing new, healthy skin to take its place.
- Regulate the pH of your face: mix 1 part ACV with 2 parts water and use as a toner using a cotton ball and lightly blotting around t-zone (forehead, nose, and chin).
- Soothe a sunburn: add 1 cup ACV to your bath, and soak for 10 minutes
- Give your hair body and shine: after you shampoo, apply 1/2 tablespoon ACV mixed with 1 cup of water, then rinse.
- Encourage hair growth: ACV will stimulate hair follicles, and can also treat dandruff and an itchy scalp.
- Give yourself an at-home pedicure by soaking your feet in equal parts warm water and ACV. Its anti-fungal properties will keep your feet healthy, soft, and clean.
- Help with varicose veins because of its high levels of vitamins, which will work to deter and reduce the veins
- Target age spots: mix 1 tablespoon orange juice with 2 tablespoons ACV to fade age spots
In addition, ACV has many health benefits since it's high in potassium and malic acid. It can also:
- Lower cholesterol and blood pressure
- Stop heartburn
- Promote proper digestion
- Control weight by breaking down fats so that your body can use them, rather than store them
- Regulates blood sugar (key for those with Diabetes), as it will lower glucose levels in your blood
- Fights sinus infections and sore throats by breaking down mucous
Apple cider vinegar has a potent odor, but if you can find a way to eat or drink it that you like, you'll likely see some of the benefits we've described above. If you have one of the more severe ailments it is said to help (such as diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol) we'd recommend speaking with your doctor before partaking.